A month ago I traveled to Copenhagen, Denmark completely on my own. It was the first time I did that and I was quite a bit scared in advance. However, I am now totally in love with it! It was an amazing experience and I can totally recommend it to everyone because I am convinced it helps to grow and learn something about yourself and life!
Have I felt alone
No, I never did. I enjoyed being completely independent and being able to do whatever whenever I want it. It was great not to ask someone if he or she is okay with doing this or that.
Because I wanted to save money (Copenhagen is really really expensive!!!) I usually just went to the supermarket and bought different things and had a picnic in one of the beautiful parks in Copenhagen. Because it is quite strange to eat out completely alone, I had my e-book with me and so I also did not feel lost while enjoying my food.
How to meet others
As an outgoing person, I love to talk to people and being silent for a whole week seemed horrible. But I found a nice host via couchsurfing . Therefore I had someone to talk to in the morning and evening and now a month later I think back to our lovely conversations!
Why I think traveling solo is so important
- Because you have to face problems completely on our own
- You have to survive a long train/plane journey alone and have to entertain yourself
- If you want to chat with someone, you have to make the first step
- In our daily lives it is not always easy to get some time for ourselves, now you have plenty of it
- You have to make decisions (not always easy, but something everybody needs to learn)
- You have to be creative (missed flights, not finding your hostel,…)
- When you have your travel-buddy you can share your luggage (for example: someone brings the toothbrush, the other one the charging cable). Now you have to take everything with you!
- Who else loves travel pictures? I guess, everyone. But if you travel solo, you have to ask someone if he could take a picture of you! So again, you have to be brave
- You learn to know yourself better! What do you like while travelling, when do you get hungry etc..
- It is just a wonderful, magical experience and you will meet a punch of new people and see things completely different after coming home!